Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Month 1 Part 2

September 14 - October 1

Week 2 started off with my mom coming to visit. She stayed for a week and was a huge help! I don't think I lifted a finger in the kitchen the whole time she was here (and I had enough food to last me for a week after she left!).

Madison went to her 2 week check-up on Wednesday, September 15. Her weight was up to 6 pounds 11 ounces and she was 20 1/2 inches long. She had been eating like crazy, so I wasn't too surprised to see that she gained 9 ounces in just 6 days (I think she also heard the doctor say she was gaining weight too slowly- she needed to prove him wrong). She's still only in the 5th percentile for weight, but she is gaining quickly.

When we got back from the doctor's office we received our shipment of gDiapers (thanks Mo!). I was really excited to get these- Madison was so small at birth that it would be months before she would fit into the one-size cloth diapers we had purchased, and the newborn diapers we had just weren't working. I couldn't believe how fast we were going through diapers (about 10 a day) and it was killing me to use disposables. The tiny g's (newborn size) work great!

Then (still Wednesday), Mitchell surprised me by coming home mid-week. It was great to see him, but unfortunately Madison chose to pull an all-nighter (obviously she didn't realize that she would have enough of those in college to last a lifetime)- I'm not sure Mitchell was all that happy with his visit. Maybe Madison wanted to spend more time with her dad?

On Friday my mom and I took Madison downtown for lunch and a walk to the Children's Gardens at Linky Stone Park. She slept through most of it, but I'm sure she will really enjoy that park when she gets a little older- it was so cute!

My mom left that afternoon, and Madison continued her feeding frenzy (which lasted for about a week). I have never seen a baby eat so much!

On Saturday (9/18) we watched the Clemson vs. Auburn game (unfortunately Clemson lost in overtime with a missed field goal 27-24). We can't wait for Madison to go to her first Clemson game at Death Valley (probably the NC State game). Too bad she's still too small for most of her Clemson clothes!

We went to Mimi's on Sunday for breakfast (first time since she was born!). Even though she was in her car seat (which she HATES with a passion- and screams bloody murder to let everyone know), she was calm all through breakfast and let us enjoy our food.

The next week was the first time I was really by myself with the baby. It was interesting to say the least. I definitely learned quickly how to do a lot of things one-handed (and the mei tai carrier was priceless). Madison did end up with some crumbs in her hair, and I may have used her to balance my plate a couple of times (nothing hot, of course!)... I had to eat, and that baby can't stand to be put down! We made it through... and it did get easier as the days went on.
I'm also thankful that I can sleep anytime anywhere- that skill is proving invaluable since Madison has decided that she prefers not to sleep for more than about 2 hours at a time. Before the baby was born I was sure that I would have all this extra time during maternity leave to do some planning for school, update my scrapbooks, organize... obviously I didn't know what I was getting myself into! It's amazing how fast the day slips by- you just don't realize how time consuming it is just to keep up with nursing, changing diapers, rocking to sleep... and somehow finding time to do things like eat and shower (not to mention laundry!). My dad has been coming down from Asheville on Tuesday nights, and both of my parents have been coming on Thursdays to bring food and to give me a break. That has been such a huge relief!

Luckily (for me, not for Mitchell), Mitchell had to work all night on Thursday (9/23), so he got the day off on Friday. It was a huge help to have him home for a 3 day weekend (and meant I was off of diaper duty!!).

The next week was more of the same... chugging through feedings, diapers, long nights, more diapers, more feedings... I did test out the breast pump (I had to go to the dentist on Monday, and wanted to make sure there was some milk available in case it took longer than expected). The pump looks like some kind of medieval torture device, but it wasn't as hard to use (or painful) as it looked. Mitchell's mom came over to babysit while I went to the dentist. Even though I found out that I had my first cavity, it was actually a nice break to get out of the house (that seems so weird to look forward to going to the dentist!). It was a big help to know that Mitchell's mom was there to take care of Madison while I was out (and she came back the next week when I had to go get the cavity filled).

On Friday (10/1) I made some cupcakes to celebrate Madison's 1 month birthday. I used a sugar free recipe so Mitchell could eat them (he said it was mean to make cupcakes for a baby who can't eat solids- but it made for a great photo-op!). Madison fell asleep before I could take the picture on Friday, so I had to do a re-take, but I figure it was still her birthday weekend.
We had a long string of visitors that weekend- Michael and Veronica on Friday; Sandra, Cindy, Dan, Amy, Taylor, Kelly and Chris on Saturday (watched the Clemson vs. Miami game... another disappointing loss 30-21); Ashley and her mom, then Don and Claudia and their kids on Sunday!

Even though it hasn't necessarily been easy, I am loving every minute (ok- maybe not EVERY minute... but most of them). It is so much fun to see her growing and changing every day. It's amazing to think that I helped to create this beautiful little girl.

1 comment:

  1. you are so funny. i hope that if i ever have a kid, i'll chronicle the course of the journey like this. you guys are the best and i KNOW will be the best parents. i hope i will get to come up another weekend and see you guys before madison's all grown and full of 'tude. :) love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete